What's happening at Small Middle School
Week of 8/26/19 – 8/30/19
- Monday, August 26th. Cross Country Parent Meeting – 5:30 PM Cafe
- Tuesday, August 27th – Counselor Talk – Meet the Counselors – 8:30 am
- Wednesday, August 28th – Hello World Parent Meeting 5 or 6 pm – Library
- Thursday, August 29th – Beginning Band Meeting –
- Monday, September 2nd – Holiday
- Tuesday, September 3rd – Back to School Night
Useful Quick Links
What a week! This has not only been the smoothest transition to a new school year for Smallville, but also the smoothest transition for students and staff to any school in the history of the entire world!
We gave our kiddos an extra minute for passing periods and an extra 5 minutes for lunch to ensure nobody got anxious about getting to class on time and that everybody had plenty of time to eat. Word on the street is that the kids didn’t even need the extra time, but as is the case with most things in life, it’s better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
To our residents of Smallville, this newsletter is one of your main connections to the goings on here in our hallowed halls, but if ever you need info or have questions before this drops, check out our website. The website should be your one-stop-shop for the majority of campus questions. If it’s content specific info you quest, then send an email to your student’s teacher if it’s not available on their website or via BLEND.
Drop Off/Pick Up Reminders: Much like the kids, you guys have made a smooth transition into the school year in regards to the above. We’re adding more bodies out there to help with the flow, but if you can make sure to adhere to the following, we can make it even safer for our kids:
- Always have your student exit the passenger side of your vehicle. We can’t have kids exiting into the thoroughfare, so insist they exit curbside.
- Always move as far forward as possible. Yes, we know your student is right there and it seems silly to drive a few yards farther to meet them, but keep in mind there is usually a queue a few cars deep behind you not expecting a dead stop. Also, it often times make the person behind block the crosswalk, which is a no no.
- When in doubt, your vehicle should never be on anything painted. Park between the lines, don’t brush up against the curb, and please do not park on the crosswalk.
With your assistance, and our kids’ attentiveness, we can make sure drop off and pick up time is safe for everybody.
Don’t forget to attend the Hello World info meeting on the 28th in our Library. This is a fantastic opportunity for your student to participate in one of the most innovative and STEM-based clubs in all of the USA. We’re excited they are reaching out to us and even more excited they have discounted the typical price for our students. Proof they know who we are and want to work with us.
It’s been smoother than smooth because we expect nothing less. High expectations are what we’re about and we’ve got the skill-set to ensure kids reach them, with your help of course.
As per usual, feel free to send an email or swing on by if ever you have a question or concern
Clint Small Middle School
Follow me on Twitter: @smallprincipal
Schedule Change Deadline
The deadline for schedule changes is Friday, August 23rd. You can pick up a schedule change form in the counseling office or print it from home by clicking here on the Small Middle School website.
Back to School Night
Tuesday, September 3rd, at 6:30
Put on your walking shoes and join us for our annual back to school night. This is the night you get to meet all your childs teachers and learn about what classes they are taking.
Leave your students at home (hopefully cooking dinner, or doing the dishes) and come on down.
Be sure to…
- Park up the street at Austin Oaks Church
- Bring a copy of your students schedule or make sure you can access it on the parent cloud. See the Teams Mobile App instructions below.
You will be walking in their foot steps going from class to class. Bus Shuttle to and from Austin Oaks Church starts at 5:15pm
Teams Mobile App
WHAT DOES THIS APPLICATION DO?
This is the official mobile app for the TEAMS educational system.
Parents and students that belong to a district supported by TEAMS are able to access their grades, attendance, and other critical educational information. Login can be saved for easy access, and parents can quickly switch between their students.
- Parents can view multiple children’s attendance, report cards, and progress reports from one page
- Students can view their own attendance, report cards, and progress reports
APPLICATION IS AVAILABLE FOR FREE
FROM GOOGLE PLAY STORE AND APPLE APP STORE
Why Clint Small Middle School?
Last year during a faculty meeting Mr. Sammon (our Assistant Principal) asked all of our teachers and staff to tell us about their why.
- Why do you teach at Small?
- Why do you teach our kids?
Here is the culmination of their words. We want to share this with our community so you too will know our why and feel confident that we are here to support your kids.
Please make sure you have completed the physical packet.
Turn in the form to the Coaches.
The online portion MUST also be completed prior to any student trying out or participating in any sport.
Go to austinisd.rankonesport.com
Enter your students ID number as it is shown on report card.
Contact info and Signature page need to be completed
Students and parents must sign at the same time.
Cross Country - Parent Meeting
There will be a parent meeting in the cafeteria on
Monday, August 26th
for parents and guardians interested in having their student participate in cross country this year.
The first practice will be August 27th. Please plan to attend!
Volleyball Schedule - Updated
Hello World will be offered at our school for the first time this Fall 2019 as an after-school program! Hello World (https://www.helloworldstudio.org/) is a computer science / coding program comprised of engineers from companies including Amazon, Apple, and Facebook. All courses are taught by professional software engineers, AI architects, and data scientists and are modeled after college computer science courses, particularly those at Rice University, a partnering institution.
To learn more, join Hello World for their Open House + Family Orientation on Wednesday, August 28th @ 4:00pm OR 5:00pm (choose one option) at the Small Middle School Library.
Tuesdays 3:45-5:45 pm at Small Middle School
10-week course from Tuesday, September 10 – Tuesday, November 12
Fall semester tuition: $450; 15% discount code for Cougar Club members only with code COUGARCLUB15
See Fall semester program flyer here https://www.helloworldstudio.org/s/Small-Middle-School_Fall-2019.pdf
ATHLETIC BOOSTER CLUB ANNOUNCEMENTS
The Athletic Booster club is an important part of Small’s Athletic program. We have been a successful program because of the support we receive. The Booster club provides for equipment to all programs (the district does not provide for some equipment). The Booster club pays the stipends for our C team coaches. Small provides a C team in: Volleyball, Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball, Boys Soccer, Girls Soccer, Cougar Running club.
The Booster club is in need of parents to help run the program.
- Co-Presidents: help with managing the Facebook page, sending out information to parents from Coaches. Overseeing all the fundraisers for the Booster Club
- Concession lead: help with purchasing items for the concessions and inventor, organizing the concession stand for the games.
- Homecoming lead: help with organizing the dance. Which includes finding DJ, chaperones, selling wristbands during all lunches and in the mornings.
- Faculty Games lead: help with selling wristbands during all lunches and in the mornings.
We need HELP with all of the positions. Please contact Coach Hernandez firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for a position