What's happening at Small Middle School
Week of December 17, 2018 – December 20, 2018
Our Counseling department is accepting donations to help out CSMS families in need.
Please drop off gift cards to Target or HEB in any denomination to our front office. Our counselors will be sure to get them to the families that need them.
If you have any questions please contact our lead counselor Ms. Diaz at firstname.lastname@example.org
New Policy for 2019-20 Transfer Requests
Austin ISD will begin accepting requests for school transfers for the 2019–20 school year on Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2019. Requests may be submitted or mailed to the Office of Student Services (Room A200), Carruth Administration Center, 1111 W. Sixth St. during regular business hours, 7:45 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Applications for priority transfers and non-priority transfers will be accepted through 5 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 31, 2019.
There have been several policy/regulation changes made this fall, including the following:
- Tracking transfers now include students who attended the highest two grades at a school but moved out of the attendance area prior to the submission deadline for priority transfers (last day of January). They will be able to apply for a tracking transfer to the middle or high school their school tracks to. Policy still states, however, that priority transfers, including tracking, will not be accepted to frozen schools. FDB Local.
- Tracking transfers do not apply to transfers to a school to attend an application based program, including a magnet program. FDB Local.
- If a student attending a magnet or application program leaves the program, they can apply for a transfer to the comprehensive program (if it is not their school based on address), but it will be processed on a first come, first served basis with other requests. FDB Local.
- Special consideration will be given to students who have attended a school based on address for at least two consecutive years, move into another AISD attendance area, but wish to remain at that school. Student Services will highlight these students for the Associate Superintendents to consider (if space is not already available) with or without an appeal. FDB Local.
- The fall deadline for transfers will be three weeks prior to the first day of school instead of August 10. FDB Regulation.
A list of the FROZEN schools will be announced by Dr. Cruz at the December 17th Board Meeting. Please visit the district website, https://www.austinisd.org/transfer for more information on the 2019-20 transfer application and process.
Social Emotional Learning
This week our SEL Lesson focuses on the importance of being kind. Students will learn about the health benefits of practicing kindness. They will be encouraged to practice kindness and to write a positive note to anyone they witness practicing kindness around them.
Our mindful moments, this week, are focused on the physical body. We will stretch and move to help release tension.
Wednesday: Mindful Stretch, Crossing the Midline
Thursday: Dolphin, Chest Opener
Great Thinkers Club
Happy Holidays Great Thinkers!
Here’s our calendar for Jan and Feb, as far as I know at this time. Occasionally meetings are called and I will give you as much notice as I can if I can’t hold GT Club.
Jan 10- no meeting, people are still getting in the swing of the New Year
Jan 17 – Creative Storytelling and UIL investigations
Jan 24 – no meeting, Mrs. Manners off-campus that day
Jan 31 – no meeting, Mrs. Manners will be doing GT testing that day
We will meet on all Thursdays in February!
Look for information in this space regarding our May field trip to The Austin Panic Room!
CBE is Credit-By-Exam. A Credit-By-Exam (CBE) program allows you to earn credit or appropriate placement for what you already know. Students can pick and choose subject matter exams offered by Austin ISD through UT High School. Languages other than English are an example of CBE exams most popularly taken by middle school students. Find out more information about CBE using the link below. If you are interested in your child signing up for a CBE, contact your child’s counselor for a registration form.
2018-2019 CBE Deadlines
Spring: Friday, January 4
Summer 1: Tuesday, April 30
Summer 2: Friday, May 17
We are very excited to provide you with this easy link to buy this year’s yearbook.
Last year it sold out, so be sure to act now.
This yearbook will be a super colorful hard cover keepsake of all your child’s happy memories of the school year.
Prices go up after the winter break.